Thursday, November 16, 2017

Definition of Traditional Photography

I recently received an e-mail from Bostick and Sullivan.  They are based in Santa Fe, New Mexico and supply materials to the photographic alternative process community.  I have purchased chemistry and paper from them for Ziatype, Cyanotype and Van Dyke Brown processes on several occasions.  This particular message promoted an organization called Luminaria, who were trying to set up some studio and darkroom space in Salt Lake City.  They have a Kickstarter campaign underway trying to raise some funds.  I will never be able to travel all the way to Utah to take advantage of their facility so I chose not to support them at this time.  I've included links to Bostick and Sullivan, and to the Luminaria project, for anyone that might be interested.  Mostly I was really moved by the description of traditional photography that was included in the Luminaria package...

We believe photography is more than images on screens.  Photography is a craft that transforms intangible rays of light into monuments of self expression and artifacts that we can hold in our hands, pass down to our kids, and share with our best friends.

This really sums up the way that I feel about traditional film based photography and hopefully helps to explain why I pack around big cameras, and go to the effort to expose and process my film.  There is just something more to it.  It is not a fleeting image on a monitor but something more...

https://www.bostick-sullivan.com/
https://www.luminariaslc.com/

No comments: