Thursday, June 22, 2017

Upside Down

Wow... didn't see that coming... and now my life has been turned upside down.  Along with me for the ride is my wife, my kids, one of my business partners and his family... among others.  My colleague at work, who I hired to be my office manager about seven years ago, has really let me down.  I recently discovered that he was a closet alcoholic, who just came out of the closet.  Turns out he has been drinking heavily for quite some time, although in fairness it seemed to be mostly an after hours problem.  This has left me high and dry, and forced me to cancel my days off and vacation for the foreseeable future.  I now have to attempt to do his job, as well as mine.  It is all I can do to keep my head above water right now, despite 12+ hour days.  Just what I needed and wanted as I look to slow down towards my eventual retirement.  Margarit and my partner's wife Michele had recently signed on to do some part time work, helping out in the office.  With this situation suddenly thrust upon us they are now sharing a full time position, in addition to looking after kids and households.  It is a very stressful time for all of us.  With no solution in sight I have to try to do what is in the best interests of my company, my family and myself.  While my former employee attempts to turn his life around I have no option but to try and recruit a replacement.  Margarit and Michele will help me out in the short term and perhaps eventually drop back to the intended part time role that they signed up for.  In the mean time I am faced with doing the bulk of the work, all the while trying to train new staff to pick up the pieces.  Not exactly what I had in mind in the twilight of my working career.

No comments: