Sunday, June 25, 2017

Family Reunion

Three years ago I coordinated a family reunion with all of my cousins, as well as all of my aunts and uncles, and a few second cousins.  This was the first reunion that had been undertaken in a couple of decades.  Everyone was really enthusiastic, and the event was really well attended.  I volunteered to organize it again this year.
There are seventeen cousins in my generation, including myself and my two brothers.  Three years ago all but a couple were able to make it.  This time around the attendance was almost the same, but the enthusiasm was lacking.  My two brothers didn't make it, nor did one of my older cousins.  Everyone else showed up, but mostly just for the afternoon.  There were only two trailers that stayed overnight and the festivities were fairly short-lived.  The next generation of our kids did not show a lot of interest last time around, and even less so this time.  It was really nice to see everyone again and I'm glad that almost everyone was able to make it, but I am a little disappointed.  
We booked the Hillside Community Hall west of Westaskiwin and there were around 65 people in attendance.  We had a big BBQ and potluck and it was great to see everyone get back together.
My two surviving uncles both showed up with their wives, my aunts.  Walter and Ben are both in they nineties and amaze me with their longeviity.  Their wives Freida and Ruby were also there, as was my Mom, and my aunt Ellen.  Ellen is the last surviving triplet, born with my Dad, who passed away in late 2013, and a brother, Richard, that died as a child.  The other sibling was John, who never married and died of a brain tumor in the 1990's.  Lots of stories and memories were shared of all of the times spent getting together when we cousins were growing up.
I think we'll try to do this again at some point in the next three to five years.  Hopefully we can pump up the interest a little.  This time around only two families showed up with trailers and stayed over night and many were only able to stop by for the afternoon.  Maybe we can change things next time around.  Perhaps I am to blame for the lack of interest.  With all that has been going on in my life the last couple of weeks I just couldn't devote the time an energy to really get this outing organized.  I bailed out on getting out to the hall on the first night... Friday... and it seems that many followed suit.  The girls and I were able to get out on Saturday morning, and we stayed over until Sunday, but only my cousin Don stayed with us and everyone else headed home on Saturday afternoon and evening.

No comments: