Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Stairway

This past couple of weeks I've had issues with my computer slowing down.  Initially I thought is was a memory issue but soon discovered that one of my hard drives is failing.  I've always been reasonably careful about backing stuff up, but obviously not as careful as I should.  I've spent the last few evenings trying to copy all the files from this drive, and the other two in my computer just to be cautious, onto an external hard drive.  Of the nearly 21,500 files on this drive, I managed to back all of them up but 57.  Those 57 files are on damaged parts of the drive and will not copy.  Perhaps I can salvage them once the drive is removed from my computer...?  If not, I've come to realize that all 57 files were image files.  Although I won't be able to salvage the exact file... I have the ultimate back up in my archive... the original film.  I'll have to invest a little extra time to rescan these 57 images, but nothing is lost.  Old technology sometimes trumps the new modern stuff...!
Now that I have everything backed up and running again, I've been working through some of my scans and came across this one.  It was taken back in April, on my 54th birthday, while we were out shooting the video documentary project in Saskatchewan.
The light was so low in this boarded up old building that it only registered at an exposure value of EV3 on my spotmeter.  This required an exposure 30 seconds at F12.0 on Ilford FP4+ film, rated at 125 iso.  I shot it with my Ebony SV45TU camera and Schneider Super Symmar XL 110mm lens.  Needless to say a sturdy tripod was in order....

No comments: