Friday, February 24, 2017

Family Portrait

Here's another image taken on the new Foma Retropan Soft 320 emulsion.  Two weeks ago I set up my backdrop and studio lights in our living room and took some portraits of the girls.  It has been quite a while since I have taken any formal portraits.  Margarit has a couple of antique picture frames that she wants to put some up to date portraits of the girls into.  This may be one of them....
I used my Sinar F1 view camera and a heavy studio tripod.  I used two strobe lights, the main one at camera right with a soft box, and a fill light at camera left bounced off an umbrella.  I used a Fujinon SF 250mm soft focus lens, though for this particular shot the lens was stopped down enough that the soft focus effect did not occur.  I have some other images from the same studio session where the lens was opened up and the soft focus effect is quite evident.  I will include at least one of those in a future blog post.  Once again the film was processed in Ilford Microphen developer, 1:1, for 15:00 minutes at 24C.  I think the grain and the open tonal range of this film work well in a portrait.



No comments: