Saturday, January 28, 2017

Back to Saskatchewan

I just returned from another trip to Saskatoon.  I attended a reception for my Procession West photography exhibition at the Saskatchewan Craft Council Gallery.  More on the reception later....
I booked Friday off work and hit the road early in the morning.  It was a pretty uneventful drive and the roads were good, and the temperature mild.  The skies were mostly sunny and it was a pleasant winter day, except for the stiff breeze that made it feel a lot colder than it really was.
I stopped at the abandoned Borden Bridge.  This old bridge spans the North Saskatchewan River, west of Saskatoon and has been replaced by two steel bridges just slightly downstream.  This massive structure is pretty impressive so I spent a couple hours photographing it with my view camera.
After finishing up here at the bridge I continued on to Saskatoon and checked into my hotel room.  Later that evening I headed over to the gallery and spent a couple hours at the reception.
The next morning, after breakfast, I checked out of the hotel and hit the road for home.  The day started out sunny but by early afternoon it had clouded over and the light became pretty flat.  The temperature was a little milder than the day before and topped out at about +3C.  The wind was still there, but not as strong, and it had changed directions.  I stopped a few times to make some photographs with my view camera.  This included a solitary maple tree near North Battleford, an abandoned house, and an old church.  I turned off the four lane highway a couple times and drove a few back roads.  This was mostly to check out some old buildings, explore a few small towns, and a couple of junk yards.  Some of the stuff I found would be worth a return trip when the weather is milder, the days longer, and the land free of snow.
I didn't bother to take my Nikon digital SLR with me on the trip as I spent most of my time working with the film camera.  I did take a few snapshots with my iPhone, which I have attached below...








1 comment:

Chris BIGDoer Doering said...

Those iconic concrete arch bridges in Saskatchewan are a favourite. Such an elegant design. I see an old White. Not all that a common in this part of the world when compared to other makes. Nice!