Friday, January 20, 2017

Another Old One....

This image was taken way back in March of 1999.  I came across it when I was recently going through some of my archives.  This old brick Chimney is up in northeast Edmonton, and used to be part of the Canada Packers meat slaughter house and packing plant.  That plant was shut down many years ago, yet the chimney still stands.  Back in 1999 when this photograph was taken, there was nothing left on the site but this chimney and a few fragments of old foundations.  Now, nearly two decades later, the City of Edmonton is about to start construction of the North East Transit Garage, on this site.  This will be a facility for storage and service of transit buses.  I understand that this chimney has been assigned historical significance and will be incorporated into the new building.  
Back in 1999 when this photo was taken I was working with a Sinar F1 4" x 5" monorail view camera.  I have absolutely no complaints about this camera other than the fact that it does not collapse down to a very compact size, and is quite heavy.  But technically it is a very precise and accurate camera and a breeze to work with... as long as you don't have to carry it too far.  I packed this camera around from 1996 until the latter part of 2012, when I switched to an Ebony wood field camera.  This images was taken with a Nikkor SW 75mm wide angle lens.  The film was Agfapan APX-100.  Production of this film stopped when Agfa went out of business not long after this shot was taken.  It was a wonderful film, but with it no longer available, I was forced to move on to other options.  Development was normal, in Rodinal diluted 1:50.


No comments: